The Mission of Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center is to connect and motivate students and families from diverse backgrounds through organic gardening, environmental stewardship, and nutrition education, empowering them to be healthy and active citizens. Our Vision is to reconnect students and families to the natural environment through food, education and community engagement.
Flora Kimball organized the Tuesday Club of National City, which was later named Olivewood Club after the estate upon which she and Warren lived.30 The Olivewood estate was nationally known for its hortoralcultural achievements.
Mrs. Kimball was a recognized writer of hortalculture and of women’s concerns. She was interested in promoting culture and emphasized arts and crafts. She even brought Susan B. Anthony to National City to speak of the woman’s vote. After her death Warren Kimball built a 200-seat auditorium at 24th street and “F” Avenue and named it the Olivewood Clubhouse in memory of his wife. In 1910 the Olivewood Club took over maintenance of it.31
The Olivewood Club’s first “Roses and Carnations Show” was presented in 1912. Mary Jane Noyes (Mrs. Oliver H.), a club member, submitted a number of entries. In 1920 she held the presidency of the club. Her participation reflected the interests and the growth of women at the turn of the century.
In 1914 Oliver H. Noyes passed away in his home. His son, Oliver C., escorted his father’s remains back to Henniker, New Hampshire, for burial. His funeral service was held at the Universalist Church.
Mary Jane Noyes continued to live at 2525 “N” Avenue with her son and his wife, Ione, until 1920. At that time she returned to Henniker and lived her remaining years with Duncan, her younger son, and his wife. She passed away in 1928 and was buried next to her husband in Plummer Cemetery, the location of the Noyes family plots.
“Best field trip ever…no competition”
~ Isabelle, 3rd grader La Jolla Country Day