Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center is looking for an enthusiastic and positive team player who is passionate about community organizing and outreach to coordinate and lead our team of over 500 annual volunteers and 30 interns, supporting the gardening based nutrition education programs for children, families, and adults here at our beautiful 7-acre Garden and Nutrition Education Center in National City, CA.
The purpose of the Olivewood Gardens Volunteer and Intern Program is to involve the community in delivering high quality educational programs for children and families. The Coordinator of Volunteers and Outreach at Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center recruits, trains, places, stewards, and recognizes interns and volunteers in multiple positions daily. Programs include our children’s field trip program, family field trips, family dinner night, adult gardening workshops, and our renowned Cooking for Salud! program for adults. The Coordinator of Volunteers and Outreach also assists with programmatic tasks, marketing and PR support, community outreach, and in the planning, promotion, and coordination of special events and workshops.
Volunteer and Intern Coordination
- Coordinate volunteers/interns including recruiting, screening, training, placement, scheduling, data tracking, and recognition of volunteers for programs, garden work, office help, and special events
- Evaluate volunteer/intern needs and develop and maintain lists, calendars, and job descriptions to track and fill those needs
- Outreach to local universities, businesses, and other sources of volunteers for partnership opportunities
- Coordinate High School internship partnership
- Provide direct supervision and mentorship of volunteers and interns
- Update volunteer and intern program policies and procedures as needed
- Plan and oversee volunteer recognition events with assistance from other staff
- Evaluate volunteer and intern program regularly
- Act as a liaison between volunteers and staff; including problem solving, delivering feedback, and training staff on proper volunteer/intern supervision
Programmatic and Special Events
- Provide programmatic support as needed; including occasionally teaching or assisting with lessons
- Publicize and assist with the planning and coordination of Special Events and Workshops (ie Gardening 101, Day of Play, Open Houses, and donor luncheons)
- Other duties as needed such as reporting, public presentations, etc.
- Track volunteer hours and maintain database (currently Excel and FIMS)
- Maintain updated lists of contacts and visitors
- Responsible for updating social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and Instagram pages.
- Design and prepare flyers for programs and events. Include QR codes as needed.
- Prepare and send monthly e-newsletters: Volunteer Update and Oliver Says
- Monitor and update front page of Olivewood Gardens website and text and photos on interior pages. Work with outside contractors as needed to maintain website.
- Maintain Olivewood Gardens public calendar
- Schedule, organize, and staff booths for community events
- Maintain and update media and community contacts lists
- Represent Olivewood Gardens in the community at professional and community events
SUPERVISION AND REPORTING
This is a fulltime grant-funded position. Position is dependent on continued grant funding. Monday-Friday work schedule. Regular evening or weekend work may be required. This position is an at-will position, is funding-dependent, and the employee reports to the Program Director of Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BA or BS degree preferred or equivalent years of work experience
- Minimum two-years’ experience working with volunteer coordination and special events, particularly in an educational setting
- Proven ability to successfully manage people and data
- Organized and detail-oriented with demonstrated ability to complete tasks on deadline
- Possess project management/organizational skills, calendaring, including contract and budget compliance using spreadsheets
- Commitment to healthy eating and garden and nutrition education
- Farming/gardening/culinary experiences preferred
- Ability to communicate professionally in front of groups of children and adults
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Comfortable working with supervisor, co-workers, employees, interns, and volunteers
- Proven experience working with people of different cultures and backgrounds
- Ability to work with diverse personalities, work locations, and schedules
- Flexible in fast-paced and unpredictable environments. Able to weigh multiple factors to act quickly, decisively, and diplomatically.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups.
- Spanish and English is preferred.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in different situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Basic social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Google Apps
- Ability to create spreadsheets, marketing materials flyers, brochures
Certificates and Licenses:
- Acceptable DMV record and valid driver’s license required
- Must have reliable transportation
- Upon hire must pass fingerprint clearance and background check
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to work with frequent interruption and to simultaneously supervise a variety of tasks
- Ability to stand, stoop, reach and bend. Mobility of arms to reach, dexterity of hands to grasp and manipulate large and small objects
- Ability to read small print
- Ability to stand for long period and walk long distances
- Ability to lift, push and/or pull objects, which may approximate 40 pounds
- Ability to work with and in the proximity of, equipment with moving mechanical parts
- Ability to work outdoors and tolerate varying weather conditions
- Frequent walking over uneven and unpaved areas, and/or standing is required
- Employee must talk and hear
- Extensive use of the computer and other administrative duties
This is a full time exempt position. A competitive compensation package is available including paid holidays, and a monthly stipend for health care.
ABOUT OLIVEWOOD GARDENS AND LEARNING CENTER
The mission of Olivewood Gardens is to connect and empower students and families from diverse backgrounds to be healthy and active through organic gardening, environmental stewardship, and nutrition education. Once the home of the Walton family, the organic gardens on the property have been cultivated for over 20 years, providing organic produce for the community. Now the site of our nutrition and garden education center, the unique 7-acre property is located in National City, where the rates of childhood obesity and Type 2 Diabetes are higher than the County average. In just 5 short years Olivewood has received over 38,000 visits from children and family members from throughout San Diego County who are interested in learning about food, health, and the natural environment. Olivewood has developed a children’s field trip program, a parent education series, community classes and events, and family programs – all with the purpose of improving health through food. Olivewood serves over 2,000 students per year, with a special emphasis on low-income, urban populations who have limited opportunities for nature-based learning. Our volunteer team of over 500 includes horticulturists, chefs, nutrition educators, graduate students, and community members.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your letter of interest and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Coordinator of Volunteers and Outreach”. Please include in your letter of interest your requested salary range.