Organization Description: Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center is an organic garden and instructional kitchen that uses hands-on cooking, gardening, and science education to teach students and families about nutrition and environmental stewardship. We provide classes, field trips, and community events to children and adults from National City and around San Diego County. Job Description: The Garden Intern will work with the Garden Manager and Garden Support Staff to assist with garden maintenance; including weeding, watering, harvesting, composting, and more. The intern will learn about organic gardening techniques as well as gain insight into the operations of a garden-based education program. Internships are unpaid, but class credit is available. The intern will:
- Practice gardening skills guided by a team of expert gardeners with experience in the areas of biodynamics, French-intensive planting, organics, nutrient cycling, companion planting, natural pest control, composting, and more!
- Experience first-hand the daily operations of a nonprofit garden education center; including growing for a farm-to-table program and planning the garden to accommodate children’s activities.
- Understand local health concerns and education challenges.
- Oversee and maintain an assigned garden area.
- Assist with additional garden tasks outside of assigned area, potentially to include watering, weeding, building compost, digging and clearing beds, planting, harvesting, and more.
- Help with programming and community events; including teaching youth and adults, and setting-up and cleaning-up.