Organization Description: Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center is an organic garden and instructional kitchen that uses hands-on cooking, gardening, and science education to teach students and families about nutrition and environmental stewardship. We provide classes, field trips, and community events to children and adults from National City and around San Diego County. Job Description: The Operations Intern will work with the Volunteer Coordinator and additional organization staff to support daily operations, special events, and marketing at Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center. The intern will gain a ‘behind-the-scenes’ view of non-profit processes. Internships are unpaid, but class credit is available. The intern will:
- Experience first-hand the logistics and organization required to create a successful community program
- Explore volunteer management, development, programming, and marketing practices
- Network with nonprofit professionals and partner organizations
- Understand local health concerns and education challenges
- Support daily operations; including answering phones and greeting visitors, organizing paperwork, summarizing program data, prepping supplies and materials, and data entering information.
- Take on small projects to support on-going operations. Examples: manage social media presence, organize digital photo archive, design new marketing materials, create garden signage, etc.
- Assist with programming and community events; including managing an aspect of a special event/program and representing Olivewood at public events.
- Create and implement a large project to enrich Olivewood and increase organization capacity. Example: create an interactive information display, design a new brochure, write and implement a marketing plan, survey National City residents and evaluate data, etc.