The Program Director (PD) will be responsible for the oversight of Olivewood Gardens’ (OWG) large edible education program which primarily serves National School District (NSD) in National City, CA in addition to other schools and organizations in the region. The Program Director’s main role will be to evaluate and grow the Olivewood Gardens educational programs to address the needs of the local community including health and nutrition, environmental stewardship, and an appreciation for the natural world. The Program Director will manage the daily educational program operations and supervise Olivewood Gardens program staff; ensure the integration of academics into the education program; as well as maintain and grow our successful kitchen program and educational garden.
• Experience with evaluating, developing, and implementing programs
• 5-7 years experience working in environmental, health, or science education non-profit organizations with demonstrated success in non-profit and staff management
• BA or BS degree required, teaching credential preferred
• Bilingual, English & Spanish preferred
• Sincere passion and background knowledge in the fields of Environmental Education, Health Education, and Edible Education
• Strong working understanding of the public school system and ability to work with school district principals and teachers
• Understanding of public health systems and local health care providers including the community clinic system
• Possess strong project management/organizational skills, calendaring, including contract and budget compliance using spreadsheets
• Excellent leadership skills with the ability to collaborate and motivate Olivewood Gardens program staff
• 5 years of experience guiding and mentoring students (K-12) with a the ability to engage and inspire children and their families
• Ability to communicate professionally in front of groups of children and adults
• Networking with partner organizations and maintaining healthy relationships with volunteers, parents, neighbors, school garden educators and the community at large
• Excellent verbal, written, and social communication skills
• Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time and ability to lift 30 pounds
• Have reliable transportation
• Program Development, Management, and Evaluation
• Staff Management
• Outreach and Community Relations
• Fundraising and Finance
The Program Director will work with stakeholders to determine the needs of the local community; will develop programs to meet those needs, and will develop methods for evaluation of program impact in the community. The Program Director will develop and grow the programs and run the day-to-day operations of Olivewood Garden’s kitchen and garden education program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to curriculum development and evaluation; outreach to community members; development and growth of community partnerships; working with volunteers and visiting students; and maintaining a successful kitchen program and educational garden. The Program Director will work with community and school leaders to build awareness and support for the benefits of institutional food policy change, and will actively promote the availability and demand for fresh produce in children’s diets. This is an at-will, grant-funded position. The Program Director reports to the Executive Director (ED) of Olivewood Gardens and Learning Center. A typical work schedule of Monday-Friday with occasional evening and/or weekend work required. Classification: Exempt Full Time
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please list in the subject line: “Your Name” /Program Director”. Please no phone calls.
The food was so good, I blacked-out for ten seconds!
~ Sahil, student at The Child's Primary School